Friday, September 13, 2013

Ladies in the Yard


A few weeks ago, I asked my friend if she would mind a practice session with her young girls. It may be our new friend status that made me slightly nervous or the fact that I am truly cognizant that my "artsy-fartsy" way of thinking can be slightly off-putting.  Despite any potential thoughts I am sure she had into the awkwardness of some random lady walking around the yard with a camera, she whole heartedly agreed.  I was ecstatic because I just knew any of of her four kiddos would fall gracefully in front of the camera.


What I hadn't prepared for was the girls utter lack of enthusiasm for the random lady with the camera! Typically, the children I ask to be my subjects are so excited they are fighting for turns behind the lens. These two ladies were the antithesis of typical girls. They were content exploring the world around them and deciding which flowers to pick. But, what started as my most worrisome moments became my favorites. I realized that despite more difficulty in finding good lighting and correct poses, to follow children in their natural element is delightfully exciting. And what you see is what you get with these girls. They are no nonsense, strong-willed, independent ladies; their momma is doing a fabulous job teaching her girls to be inquisitive gals.














No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to share your thoughts.